Nicholas Heckaman is designer of this Ring. The Gainesville, Florida-based designer first discovered his skill when he was looking for the perfect ring to propose to his girlfriend with. He wanted a special handmade engagement ring, because his girl is very special too. He managed to create a ring out of a silver coin with a hammer and with “a lot of patience.”
Heckaman’s coin rings are available to purchase on his Etsy shop.
1.Find the coin you want to use. Quarters are probably the easiest to do.
2. Find some way to make sure you get the hole perfectly centered. If it’s off center, it makes for a difficult ring.
3. Make your hole.
4. Look good?
5. Heat it up so it’s easy to work with.
6. It should look like this when it’s cool.
7. Begin the hammering.
8. Hammering is the hardest and most tedious part of the process, it takes quite a few rings to get this technique just right.
9. After awhile, you should end up with something like this.
10. Continue to apply heat and hammer until you get a solid ring shape. The top edge in this one has already begun to be polished.
11. Second hardest part of the process, polishing it without losing all the detail.
12. The finished product.